About Me

My photo
I’m from New York but my driver’s license lists that my address is Ohio. My passport has a number of stamps in it. I’m the youngest of six, yet oldest son. I have a number after my initials, but not my name. I like music. I like coffee, beer and bourbon. I am a follower of Jesus. I watch bonus features on DVD’s. For four months each year my wife and I are the same age. “I pledge allegiance to a country without borders, without politicians.” I am an ordained pastor, but don't currently have a church. I’ve eaten raw horse meat. I’m fifteen inches taller than my wife, but I look up to her. I still prefer buying CDs to downloading music. I’m a night owl, who doesn’t mind getting up early. I like to play games. I moved to another country nine days after my wedding. I sometimes quote random lyrics. I believe in miracles. I prefer desktops to laptops. I like listening to audio books. I watch Buffalo Bills and Sabres games. I have five sons. I'm living life mid sentence.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Suffering, A Good Part of Life

For years I've been thinking about suffering, and what my response is to be to it as a Christian. I know that "in everything" we are to "give thanks," but how do I do that, practically speaking, in 2008? I also know that we are told that "all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted."

A while back I heard lyrical poetry, that while not explaining things, helped mask the pain of suffering. In a song I heard "isn't this world something wonderful, that we were made to suffer both its honesty and cruelty? Today!" As I said, the song didn't answer the questions, but I found some comfort in knowing that suffering isn't something that is exclusive to me.

Well, today I discovered that Adelaide Procter did a better job than I have ever done in thinking through the reason for suffering. A century and a half ago Procter wrote a hymn that included this verse: I thank Thee more that all our joy Is touched with pain, That shadows fall on rightest hours, That thorns remain; So that earth’s bliss may be our guide, And not our chain."

While I still have a lot to learn about suffering, and my response as a Christian, but now I have a little better understanding.