About Me

My photo
I’m from New York but my driver’s license lists that my address is Ohio. My passport has a number of stamps in it. I’m the youngest of six, yet oldest son. I have a number after my initials, but not my name. I like music. I like coffee, beer and bourbon. I am a follower of Jesus. I watch bonus features on DVD’s. For four months each year my wife and I are the same age. “I pledge allegiance to a country without borders, without politicians.” I am an ordained pastor, but don't currently have a church. I’ve eaten raw horse meat. I’m fifteen inches taller than my wife, but I look up to her. I still prefer buying CDs to downloading music. I’m a night owl, who doesn’t mind getting up early. I like to play games. I moved to another country nine days after my wedding. I sometimes quote random lyrics. I believe in miracles. I prefer desktops to laptops. I like listening to audio books. I watch Buffalo Bills and Sabres games. I have five sons. I'm living life mid sentence.

Monday, March 23, 2009

Back to the Books

I enjoy reading. I really do. However, if there is anything else I can be doing, the alternative to reading wins about 99 percent of the time. Last week I decided that I'm going to make an effort to read more. With starting a part time job this week I'll have some things to do, but in addition I'll still have time on my hands that could be better spent than wasting time on things that don't really produce any benefits.

I've started to compile a list of books I want to read. I'm not sure if I'll get to all of them, or how many others will jump into the list, but right now I already know of a dozen or so books. Now, I need to find a way to get a few of them, since my library doesn't have them and I don't own them.

Here's my started list:

"There Really is a Difference: A Comparison of Covenant and Dispensational Theology" by Renald Showers (own and am re-reading on my own)

"Depating Calvinism: Five Points, Two Views"
by Dave Hunt & James White (Own, and am reading and discussing with my wife)

"Dispensationalism" by Charles Ryrie (own)

"Biblical Preaching: The development and delivery of Expository Messages" by Haddon Robinson (own)

"Preaching & Teaching with Imagination" by Warren W. Wiersbe (own)

"Maranatha Our Lord, Come!: A Definitive study of the Rapture of the Church" by Showers (own)

"The Basis of the Premillennial Faith" by Ryrie (own)

"The Gospel According to Jesus" by John MacArthur (own)

"So Great Salvation" by Ryrie (on my Amazon.com wishlist) ((this book is a response to the doctrine taught in "The Gospel According to Jesus"))


"One Blood: The Biblical Answer to Racism"
by Ken Ham, Carl Wieland and Don Batten (own)

"Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist"
by John Piper (own)

"Institutes of the Christian Religion"
by John Calvin (Amazon wish list)

"St. Augustine's Confessions" by Augustine of Hippo (Amazon wish list)

"Young, Restless, Reformed: A Journalist's Journey with the New Calvinist"
by Collin Hansen (Amazon wish list)

"The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, Documented" by David Steele, et al (Amazon wish list)