About Me

My photo
I’m from New York but my driver’s license lists that my address is Ohio. My passport has a number of stamps in it. I’m the youngest of six, yet oldest son. I have a number after my initials, but not my name. I like music. I like coffee, beer and bourbon. I am a follower of Jesus. I watch bonus features on DVD’s. For four months each year my wife and I are the same age. “I pledge allegiance to a country without borders, without politicians.” I am an ordained pastor, but don't currently have a church. I’ve eaten raw horse meat. I’m fifteen inches taller than my wife, but I look up to her. I still prefer buying CDs to downloading music. I’m a night owl, who doesn’t mind getting up early. I like to play games. I moved to another country nine days after my wedding. I sometimes quote random lyrics. I believe in miracles. I prefer desktops to laptops. I like listening to audio books. I watch Buffalo Bills and Sabres games. I have five sons. I'm living life mid sentence.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Freeing Slaves, Physically and Spiritually

Tonight I watched a documentary on human trafficking and the sex trade--primarily in India. While the documentary pointed out how there are people, some ex-sex-slaves who are fighting the trafficking, hundreds or thousands of woman and children enter the sex-trade for every one that is rescued.

The name of the program I watched was "The Day My God Died." At least one of the workers who is working to free the girls said that the biggest goal she has in rescuing these girls is to let them live out their remaining days, since most are HIV/AIDS positive, with dignity. Yes, the girls, in most cases, do have their freedom back, but that doesn't go far enough. What about these girls souls? Is it enough to just heal the physical wounds, and leave these girls spiritually unchanged? I am not advocating being the hands and feet of God only as a means to win souls, in other words convert-and-run mentality, but to take care of their physical needs and leave the eternal part of these girls unchanged is, to me, unimaginable.

How does one deal with dealing with the physical/spiritual divide in such cases? After all, to ignore the physical/emotional needs would make us guilty of ignoring the physical/emotional needs of God himself (Matt. 25:31ff). But on the flip side, what does it profit a person, or may I say ex-sex-slave, if we give them the whole world, yet don't deal with their eternal soul?