About Me

My photo
I’m from New York but my driver’s license lists that my address is Ohio. My passport has a number of stamps in it. I’m the youngest of six, yet oldest son. I have a number after my initials, but not my name. I like music. I like coffee, beer and bourbon. I am a follower of Jesus. I watch bonus features on DVD’s. For four months each year my wife and I are the same age. “I pledge allegiance to a country without borders, without politicians.” I am an ordained pastor, but don't currently have a church. I’ve eaten raw horse meat. I’m fifteen inches taller than my wife, but I look up to her. I still prefer buying CDs to downloading music. I’m a night owl, who doesn’t mind getting up early. I like to play games. I moved to another country nine days after my wedding. I sometimes quote random lyrics. I believe in miracles. I prefer desktops to laptops. I like listening to audio books. I watch Buffalo Bills and Sabres games. I have five sons. I'm living life mid sentence.

Thursday, August 09, 2012

What Have I Become--Revisited

Seven and a half years ago I wrote a blog entitled "What Have I Become?".  In the blog I talked about how some people get stuck, at some point in their life, and time seems to stand still.  They stop listening to new artists, they stop updating their wardrobe, and basically become trapped in a time warp.  Now, I believe, I am joining their ranks.

When I drafted the original blog I was a 26 year old radio newscaster, who was keeping up with new trends in music, fashion, and technology.  I was single, living by myself, and somewhat carefree.  Now I am 34, married with three sons, in a different line of work, and have many things to concern myself about.  While my wardrobe hasn't changed much since 2005, since after all diapers, doctors, and other expenses that come along with having a family aren't cheep, and while I no longer keep up with the cutting edge of technology, for some of the same reasons stated earlier, I would not trade places with the carefree version of myself from the yesteryear for anything.  Carefree can be fun at times, but the life I have now is much more rewarding.

While I somewhat resemble the person described in the original blog in regards to my music listening habits, I have not simply turned my music player from "shuffle to repeat".  However, over the years, I've become more selective in what music I choose to buy.  Certain artists I will buy whatever they put out, while others, even some artists I think are good, I will pass on.  In a sense, I have separated the great artists from the good artists over time, and have decided that only the great ones are worth the investment.  Two such artists have new albums coming out in the coming weeks, and I hope to offer my thoughts about the artists and their albums in the coming days.