About Me

My photo
I’m from New York but my driver’s license lists that my address is Ohio. My passport has a number of stamps in it. I’m the youngest of six, yet oldest son. I have a number after my initials, but not my name. I like music. I like coffee, beer and bourbon. I am a follower of Jesus. I watch bonus features on DVD’s. For four months each year my wife and I are the same age. “I pledge allegiance to a country without borders, without politicians.” I am an ordained pastor, but don't currently have a church. I’ve eaten raw horse meat. I’m fifteen inches taller than my wife, but I look up to her. I still prefer buying CDs to downloading music. I’m a night owl, who doesn’t mind getting up early. I like to play games. I moved to another country nine days after my wedding. I sometimes quote random lyrics. I believe in miracles. I prefer desktops to laptops. I like listening to audio books. I watch Buffalo Bills and Sabres games. I have five sons. I'm living life mid sentence.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Love Is Different Than You Think...

...it's never in a song, or on a TV screen.

As of today, I have been married for 633 days. And if you ask my wife, next week we will have been together (dating+engaged+married) for three years. If you had asked me before I met my wife what love was I wouldn't have really known. I had ideas, and on top of that I could have quoted chapter and verse of what love "is", but I wouldn't have really know through experience.

Then I met my wife. This isn't the part where I get all sappy, and say all the flowery rhetoric that we've all heard before. I'm not going to say much about it, actually. The love my wife has shown me didn't come from the butterfly-esque/feeling/emotions. She showed me what love is through her actions. She was kind, when she had every right to be angry. She forgave when she had every right to seek revenge. She chose to love me when I was unlovable. She made sacrifices to take care of her boys, and did so ahead of looking out for herself at times.

Today I have a better idea of what love is, because I have seen love in action. In the future, when I reflect on what love is, I am sure I will have even a better idea then I do now. I am glad that my wife and I are in this for the long run. Yes there are ups and downs, but as our lifelong fling continues, the number of opportunities to demonstrate love will grow as well. Each day we have together is a new opportunity to put love into action.