About Me

My photo
I’m from New York but my driver’s license lists that my address is Ohio. My passport has a number of stamps in it. I’m the youngest of six, yet oldest son. I have a number after my initials, but not my name. I like music. I like coffee, beer and bourbon. I am a follower of Jesus. I watch bonus features on DVD’s. For four months each year my wife and I are the same age. “I pledge allegiance to a country without borders, without politicians.” I am an ordained pastor, but don't currently have a church. I’ve eaten raw horse meat. I’m fifteen inches taller than my wife, but I look up to her. I still prefer buying CDs to downloading music. I’m a night owl, who doesn’t mind getting up early. I like to play games. I moved to another country nine days after my wedding. I sometimes quote random lyrics. I believe in miracles. I prefer desktops to laptops. I like listening to audio books. I watch Buffalo Bills and Sabres games. I have five sons. I'm living life mid sentence.

Monday, May 04, 2009

Time to Move On?

Am I being too sentimental? Is it time for me to move on, and make the call?

One may wonder what has brought about this bout of sentimentality, and what this call is that I am referring too. The call that I've contemplated making, but have yet to do, is to my cell phone carrier, and the call is in reference to changing my cell phone number. Twenty-two months ago I moved away from what had been my hometown for six years, and at that time I imagined that I'd move back there in a couple years. However, as the months and years pass I now realize that the chances of me moving back to my former stomping grounds is becoming less and less likely. Yet I still can't bring myself to make the call to switch the number.

Over the past seven plus years that I've had this cell phone number I have been a college student (and a college graduate), worked five or six different jobs, lived in eight apartments, and two countries, been through two relationships that ended, met and married the girl of my dreams, became a father, owned three different cars, attended a handful of different churches, as well as countless other changes. One of the few things that remained unchanged throughout this time period was my telephone number.

I've gone through a list of pros and cons of changing my number, and so far they haven't helped me determine what I should do. One side says that I should have a number that is a local call for those I live near, but the other side of me says that most of the people who call me do so from cell phones and so the whole long distance issue isn't really an issue. Another thought I have is how would I go about contacting everyone who may have my current number to update them with a new number? That thought alone is enough to bring on a headache.

So do I hold on to something that has been a consistent in my life, or do I move on? I guess I have a decision to make.