About Me

My photo
I’m from New York but my driver’s license lists that my address is Ohio. My passport has a number of stamps in it. I’m the youngest of six, yet oldest son. I have a number after my initials, but not my name. I like music. I like coffee, beer and bourbon. I am a follower of Jesus. I watch bonus features on DVD’s. For four months each year my wife and I are the same age. “I pledge allegiance to a country without borders, without politicians.” I am an ordained pastor, but don't currently have a church. I’ve eaten raw horse meat. I’m fifteen inches taller than my wife, but I look up to her. I still prefer buying CDs to downloading music. I’m a night owl, who doesn’t mind getting up early. I like to play games. I moved to another country nine days after my wedding. I sometimes quote random lyrics. I believe in miracles. I prefer desktops to laptops. I like listening to audio books. I watch Buffalo Bills and Sabres games. I have five sons. I'm living life mid sentence.

Friday, May 01, 2009

The Scenic Route

Throughout life I, like most men, have had tendencies towards being a checklist person. I come up with a list of the things I want to, or have to do and once I've accomplished them I cross them off.

When I was younger I said I wanted to go to college. Check. I wanted to work in radio. Check. I wanted to get married. Check. And I think you are starting to get the point. However, after spending some time thinking about it, I think the checklist mentality can be responsible for a lot of relational problems that people face. While only a fool would say on his wedding day that's he's accomplished another thing to check of his to do list, many walk away from the alter with a similar mentality.

A few days ago something came to mind. Relationships can be described in word pictures of a person driving a car. If a person is intent on only getting to their final destination, then they are likely to break the rules, and risk injury to both themselves and others to get to their destination. However, if one compares a relationship to taking a scenic route, they will see that sometimes the drive is what makes the relationship, not simply the destination.

If all I am looking for is to end my life married to the same person, then I can possibly do that. But as I've seen first hand, if the only thing keeping two people together is their opposition to divorce, they are in for one long and bumpy road. While a married couple taking the scenic route is also likely to encounter long sections of road, and rocky roads, the distance and bumps aren't likely to have as much damage because they are side-by-side with someone are growing with.

While someone looking to simply cross the finish line may deal with frustration when their partner repeats a story they have heard before, the person on the scenic route may relax, kick up their feet and enjoy the story once again.

When it comes to relationships in life, I'd rather take the scenic route then use the route only to serve my own desires. Along the way I may find that there are things I didn't know I would enjoy, and likely wouldn't have found out if I hadn't taken the time to smell the roses. At the end of the journey, what would you say is more important: total number of miles crossed, or the number of photo albums filled with the snapshots of wonderful times experienced on the scenic route?